The Little River Dike Local Protection Project is located along the Little River in Westfield. The dike protects several commercial and industrial buildings located along Ponders Hollow Road.
The Little River Dike was originally constructed as part of the Corps’ recovery operations following the destructive floods of August 1955. In March 1983, heavy flooding caused erosion damage along a 500-foot stretch of the dike near the Strathmore Paper Company. Repairs to the dike were made during July - September 1984 and cost $185,000.
The original project consisted of a 2,500 foot long dike along the northern bank of the Little River. Repairs included rebuilding and reshaping the dike using fill and stone slope protection.