US Army Corps of Engineers
New England District Website

Public Services Menu


Planning Assistance to States

Under the authority provided by Section 22 of the Water Resources Development Act of 1974 (PL 93-251), as amended, the Corps of Engineers can provide states, local governments, other non-Federal entities, and eligible Native American Indian tribes assistance in the preparation of comprehensive plans for the development, utilization, and conservation of water and related land resources.  Typical studies are only planning level of detail; they do not include detailed design for project construction.  The program can encompass many types of studies dealing with water resources issues.  Types of studies conducted in recent years under the program include the following:  water supply/demand, water conservation, water quality, environmental/conservation, wetlands evaluation/restoration, dam safety/failure, flood damage reduction, coastal zone protection, and harbor planning.

Cost Sharing Requirements.  Efforts under this program are cost shared on a 50 percent Federal – 50 percent non-Federal basis.  The study sponsor has the option of providing in-kind services for its share of the study cost.

Study Process.  The process for PAS investigations begins after a state, regional, local government, or Native American Indian tribe requests Corps of Engineers assistance under the program.  The Corps of Engineers will work with the requesting organization to develop a scope of work and assemble the appropriate study team for the effort being requested.  Once a scope of work has been developed, a cost sharing letter agreement will be prepared and sent to the sponsor for their signature.  Once the both parties have signed the agreement, the study may begin, subject to the availability of both Federal and local funding.


Study Cost

PAS assistance is cost shared on a 50 percent Federal and 50 percent non-Federal basis. The study sponsor has the option of providing in-kind services up to 100 percent of its share of the study cost.


Final Design/Construction Costs

The program does not give the Corps the authority to complete detailed final designs or construction activities.



How to Request Assistance.  Requests for assistance should be in the form of a letter that includes the location and nature of the problem to be investigated. The request should be submitted by a state, local government agency, or eligible Native American Indian tribe to Mr. John Kennelly, Chief, Planning Division, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New England District, 696 Virginia Road, Concord, MA 01742-2751. For more information call Christopher Hatfield, Plan Formulation Branch at 978-318-8520.


Sample Request Letter for Planning Assistance to the States

Updated July 10, 2019.