The Holyoke and Springdale Local Protection Project is located along the west bank of the Connecticut River in Holyoke. The project provides flood protection to about 230 acres of industrial, commercial, residential, and public property.
Construction of the project’s first two sections began in December 1938 and were completed in October 1940, costing $3.6 million. Construction of the third section started in April 1947 and was completed in February 1950, costing $700,000. Holyoke operates and maintains the project.
The project consists of three sections. The first section, extending from the dam of the Holyoke Water Power Company to high ground near Mosher Street, includes about 400 feet of earthfill dike and 5,600 feet of concrete floodwall along the Connecticut River. The second section, extending from high ground near Appleton Street to the Springdale Dike, consists of about 10,500 feet of concrete floodwall along the Connecticut River and both banks of the third-level power canal, part of a complex power canal system that serves local industries. The third section involved the reconstruction of the existing Springdale Dike (not originally built by the Corps). Springdale Dike extends about 4,200 feet along the Connecticut River and ties into high ground south of Riverside Park.
In addition to dikes and floodwalls, construction also included 18 stoplog structures at openings in the concrete floodwalls; seven pumping stations to dispose of interior drainage from behind the dikes and floodwalls; and 20 gate structures at inlet and outlet works to keep out high water from the Connecticut River.