Wessagussett Beach in Weymouth is located on Hingham Bay along most of the North Weymouth shorefront.
The project involved work in two areas - the Wessagussett Road area and the Regatta Road and River Street area. Work in the Wessagussett Road area involved:
- Widening an approximately 1,000-foot-long stretch of beach to widths ranging from 35-125 feet by the direct placement of sand;
- Constructing a 375-foot-long stone groin containing a drain pipe and tide gate; and
- Building drainage facilities.
Work in the Regatta Road and River Street area involved:
- Widening about 1,600 feet of beach to a general width of 125 feet by the direct placement of sand;
- Constructing a 350-foot-long stone groin; and
- Building two stone seawalls totaling 1,040 feet. One seawall is located along the westerly end of Regatta Road and is about 500 feet long. The second seawall runs along River Street and is 540 feet long.
Work in the Wessagussett Road area was completed in 1959. Work in the Regatta Road and River Street area was completed in 1964 except for the widening of the beach, which was completed in April 1969. The total cost of the Wessagussett Beach project was $381,000.