Short Beach is located in Stratford, immediately north of Stratford Point, at the western side of the mouth of the Housatonic River. It fronts a major marshland area.
The project at Short Beach involved the widening of about 2,500 feet of beach to 125 feet by the direct placement of sand. The sand was obtained from the Housatonic River at no cost to the federal government because of Corps’ dredging activities underway at that time.
The widening of the beach was completed in June 1955.