Cove Island lies at the head of Cove Harbor in southeastern Stamford. The beach is situated on the eastern shore of the island.
The project provided for widening approximately 1,200 feet of beach to a width of 125 feet by the direct placement of sand. A 400-foot-long jetty was also constructed at the far northeastern end of the beach.
Construction was completed in September 1958. The project cost $141,400.