Compo Beach in Westport is situated on both the east and west sides of Cedar Point, at the entrance to the Saugatuck River.
The project was completed in two phases:
- Two 500-foot-long groins were constructed. The first groin was constructed at Hills Point on the eastern side of the beach, and the second was built on the western side of the beach. This phase was completed in December 1956.
- The beach (both sides) was widened to 100 feet by the direct placement of sand. The east side of Cedar Point is approximately 2,600 feet long, while the west side is about 1,100 feet long. This phase was completed in January 1959.
The total cost of the project was $253,600.