Coasters Harbor in Newport is a small, protected harbor situated between Coasters Harbor Island, at the northern end of Newport Harbor, and the mainland. Coasters Harbor Island is located about 0.5 mile south of Coddington Point, and is the base of operations for the U.S. Navy Newport Training Station and the U.S. Naval War College. A cove at the southeastern end of Coasters Harbor Island is used principally by vessels operating from the Naval Training Station.
The Corps’ project, completed in 1892, involved deepening the channel leading from Newport Harbor into the cove to nine feet. It also provided for cutting additional openings in the causeway located immediately north of the cove. This causeway is the southernmost of three causeways that join Coasters Harbor Island with Newport.