The Bellamy River flows through Dover into Little Bay, which connects Great Bay to the southwest with the Piscataqua River to the east, in Newington. The river today is used only by recreational boaters.
In the latter part of the 19th and early 20th centuries, the Bellamy River was used as a shipping channel between Great Bay and Sawyer’s Mill in Dover, with brick being the principal commodity. Completed in 1896 to accommodate commercial navigation, the project consists of a four-mile-long channel, five feet deep and 50 feet wide, extending from Little Bay to Sawyer’s Mill, near the Route 108 Bridge. The project lies on the west side of Dover Point.
No shipping has been reported on the river for many years.