ROCKPORT HARBOR Rockport Harbor is located in Sandy Bay on the northeast side of Cape Ann, about 32 miles northeast of Boston. The town of Rockport is popular with tourists, and the harbor is used extensively by recreational boaters, fishing craft, and charter boats for excursions and sport fishing.
The earliest work in the harbor dates back to 1839, when two breakwaters were constructed, one on each side of the harbor entrance. In 1905, the Corps rebuilt the two breakwaters to a height of 18.5 feet. The northern breakwater at Bearskin Neck is 900 feet long, and the southern breakwater at Norwoods Head is 200 feet long. The Corps also removed principal rocks in the harbor.
The most recent work in Rockport Harbor was completed in July 1987 as a small project under Section 107 of the Corps’ Continuing Authorities Program. This work included the construction of:
- A 10-foot-deep channel, 80 feet wide, extending 1,100 feet from deep water outside the breakwaters to the town wharf in the center of the harbor.
- Two eight-foot-deep outer anchorage areas on either side of the 10-foot-deep channel. The north anchorage, about 3.5 acres in area, extends from the Bearskin Neck Breakwater to the town wharf. The south anchorage, about 2.7 acres in area, extends from the Norwoods Head Breakwater to the town wharf.
- Two eight-foot-deep inner anchorage basins on either side of the town wharf. The north anchorage is 1.7 acres in area, and the south anchorage is 1.2 acres in area.
PIGEON COVE Pigeon Cove in Rockport is located in Sandy Bay, about 1.5 miles north of Rockport Harbor. It is home to a vibrant commercial fishing industry. Corps’ work in Pigeon Cove consists of:
- A 10-foot-deep channel, 75 feet wide, extending 550 feet from deep water outside the existing breakwater, across the southern part of the inner cove, to the public pier; and
- A 3.4-acre anchorage area, eight feet deep, throughout the rest of Pigeon Cove’s inner section.
Completed in July 1987, Pigeon Cove is a small project, constructed under Section 107 of the Corps’ Continuing Authorities Program.
- Updated: 12 June 2015