Little Harbor is located in the Woods Hole section of Falmouth, on the southwestern end of Cape Cod. Separated from Great Harbor to the west by Parkers Neck, Little Harbor is three-eighths of a mile long and one-eighth of a mile wide. The U.S. Coast Guard maintains a station and vessels in the harbor, which is also used by recreational craft.
The Corps’ project, completed in 1906, consists of a channel 1,600 feet long extending from Vineyard Sound to the Coast Guard wharf. The channel originally had a 12-foot depth and a 150-foot width. Also constructed was a turning basin in front of the wharf. The turning basin originally had a depth of 12 feet and a width of 250 feet.
In the mid-1960s, the Coast Guard deepened and widened both the channel and turning basin. The channel was deepened to 17 feet and widened to 200 feet. The turning basin was deepened to 17 feet and widened to 400 feet.