Hingham Harbor is located in Hingham Bay, just north of Hingham Center and east of Weymouth Back River. The harbor is used principally for recreational boating.
Initial work in Hingham Harbor, completed in 1884, provided for a 2,500-foot-long channel extending from deep water to the head of the harbor, in the vicinity of the Hingham wharves. The channel’s original dimensions were eight feet deep and 100 feet wide. In 1893, the Corps deepened the existing channel to 10 feet and removed a ledge in the lower channel between Chandlers and Ragged islands.