Edgartown Harbor is located at the eastern end of Martha’s Vineyard Island in Edgartown. It is used primarily by large local recreational and fishing fleets.
Initial work in the harbor was completed in 1897 and consisted of an entrance channel from Nantucket Sound to the outer harbor and the removal of obstructions in the inner harbor. The present project consists of a channel, 17 feet deep and generally 150 feet wide, extending from the outer harbor to deep water in the inner harbor; the removal of a large shoal at the northwest end of the inner harbor to a depth of 17 feet; and the removal of Middle Ground Shoal in the middle section of the inner harbor to a depth of 12 feet. This work was completed in 1939.