Rockport Harbor in Rockport is located in Penobscot Bay, about four miles north of Rockland Harbor and two miles south of Camden Harbor. Boat construction, boat service facilities, and charter cruises are the chief waterfront industries. A small number of commercial lobstering boats and a large recreational fleet are based at Rockport Harbor.
Initial work in the harbor began in 1888 when the Corps dredged an area of about 500 square feet in front of the wharves to a depth of 12 feet and removed some ledge. In 1913, the Corps removed ledge situated on the west side of the inner harbor to a depth of 15 feet, thereby widening the channel by 250 feet.