Rockland Harbor in Rockland is located on Penobscot Bay, about 75 miles northeast of Portland. An important fishing, seafood processing, and boating center, Rockland Harbor is the mainland terminus for ferry and freight service to the Penobscot Bay Island communities of Criehaven, Matinicus, Vinalhaven, and North Haven.
The project in Rockland Harbor consists of five channels along the central waterfront with varying depths and widths, and a 4,346-foot-long stone breakwater that extends southerly from Jameson Point. The dimensions and locations of these channels are:
- An 18 foot deep access channel, 200 feet wide, extending from deep water east of the U.S. Coast Guard facility to a point west of the facility.
- A 14 foot deep channel, 150 feet wide, that begins at the end of the 18 foot deep channel and ends at a point opposite Whitmoyer Laboratories.
- A channel 14 feet deep and 150 feet wide extending from the 18 foot deep access channel to Lermond Cove, behind the central waterfront, in the vicinity of Schooner Dock.
- A channel 14 feet deep and 100 feet wide extending from the aforementioned 14 foot deep channel to the vicinity of the Rockland/Rockport Lime Company.
- A channel 14 feet deep and 100 feet wide extending from the 18 foot deep access channel to the vicinity of the E.F. Drew Company and Holmes Packing Company.
The breakwater was completed in 1904 and the channels were completed in 1959.