US Army Corps of Engineers
New England District

Civil Works Menu

Redirecting...

Richmond Island Harbor Navigation Project

Richmond Island Harbor in Cape Elizabeth is located about 6.5 miles southwest of Portland Harbor. Richmond Island Harbor is used extensively as an anchorage by recreational craft.

The project, completed in 1881, consists of a 2,000-foot-long stone breakwater connecting Richmond Island with the mainland. The breakwater provides refuge for commercial schooners in either Richmond Island Harbor to the west of the breakwater or Seal Cove to the east, depending on the direction of the storm.