Owls Head Harbor in Owls Head is located at the lower end of Penobscot Bay. It is a small fishing, lobstering, and recreational port lying west of Munroe Island and adjacent to Rockland Harbor.
Development of the harbor began in 1858 when the Corps completed a breakwater at Dodge Point that formed a harbor of refuge for sailing vessels. Time and weather have since destroyed the breakwater, which is no longer needed for today’s navigation.
The most recent work in Owls Head Harbor is a six-footdeep anchorage, eight acres in area, at the town float and adjacent to a series of lobster pounds. Completed in 1967, the anchorage was built under Section 107 of the Corps’ Continuing Authorities Program.