Bucksport Harbor in Bucksport is located on the Penobscot River, about nine miles upstream of Penobscot Bay. The Bucksport waterfront is located on Eastern Channel, opposite Verona Island and historic Fort Knox. Traffic in Bucksport Harbor consists principally of small coastal tankers carrying petroleum products. Recreational boaters and a small commercial lobstering fleet also use the harbor.
Initial work in the harbor took place between 1875-78 when the Corps dredged an area known locally as the Middle Ground, situated opposite the central waterfront. The approximately 12.5-acre area was dredged to a depth of 12 feet in front of the wharves, and eight feet elsewhere. In 1903, the Corps modified its previous work by dredging the entire area to a depth of 16 feet.