US Army Corps of Engineers
New England District

Civil Works Menu

Redirecting...

Duck Island Harbor Navigation Project

Duck Island Harbor is bounded by Clinton and Grove beaches to the north, Duck Island to the south, Menunketesuck Island to the east, and Kelsey Point in Clinton and Stone Island to the west.

In 1899, the Corps constructed a 2,700-foot-long breakwater extending westward from Duck Island. In 1917, the Corps built two additional breakwaters: a 1,100-foot-long structure at the north end of Duck Island, and a 3,750-foot-long breakwater extending south from Stone Island to Stone Island Reef. At the same time, the Corps also dredged a portion of an area northwest of Duck Island to a depth of 16 feet.