The Bailey Dam Local Protection Project is located on the Winooski River in Montpelier. The project reduces ice jams and resultant flooding on the Winooski River. Data on damages prevented are not available. Bailey Dam, originally called the Montpelier Dam, was completed in October 1934 as part of the Winooski River Local Protection Project. The work described below was completed between August-November 1975 as a small project under Section 208 of the Continuing Authorities Program. Construction was overseen by the Corps’ New York District. The project cost $250,000 and is operated and maintained by Montpelier. The project included the removal of the dam’s tainter gates and supporting piers, a concrete walkway, and a portion of the spillway; and the construction of an approximately three-foot-high concrete cap on top of the existing sill and a six-foot-high cap on the spillway.