The Torrington (West Branch) Local Protection Project is located in Torrington along the lower reach of the Naugatuck River’s west branch.
In conjunction with Hall Meadow Brook Dam, this project safeguards industrial, commercial, and residential areas along the West Branch of the Naugatuck River.
Construction of the project began in July 1959 and was completed in May 1960, costing $228,000. It is a small project, built under Section 205 of the Corps’ Continuing Authorities Program. It is operated and maintained by Torrington.
The project entailed deepening and widening the West Branch of the Naugatuck River channel. In addition, concrete floodwalls and stone slope protection were constructed. The project extends about 2,500 feet from the Prospect Street Bridge to the confluence of the Naugatuck River’s East and West branches.