The Torrington (East Branch) Local Protection Project lies on the Naugatuck River and the Naugatuck River’s East Branch, near the center of Torrington.
In conjunction with the Hall Meadow Brook and East Branch dams, the project provides flood protection to residential, commercial, industrial, and public property along the banks of both the Naugatuck River and the Naugatuck River’s East Branch. Specifically, this protection extends from the East Pearl Street Bridge that spans the Naugatuck River’s East Branch, to the vicinity of Saint Francis Cemetery on the Naugatuck River.
Construction of the project, which cost $389,000, started in July 1957 and was completed in July 1959. It is a small project, built under Section 205 of the Corps’ Continuing Authorities Program. It is operated and maintained by Torrington.
Construction involved building earthfill dikes and concrete floodwalls at various points along the Naugatuck River and the Naugatuck River’s East Branch. The total length of the dikes and floodwalls along the Naugatuck River is 2,370 feet, and their total length along the Naugatuck River’s East Branch is 1,450 feet. The dikes on the Naugatuck River begin at a point immediately downstream of the East and West Branch confluence.
The project also entailed straightening, deepening, and widening 5,000 feet of the Naugatuck River and 4,000 feet of the Naugatuck River’s East Branch.