. – Construction activities continue on Phase 1 of the $30.9
On Wednesday, May 21, temporary night-time work will begin at the Jug Handle portion of the Muddy River Flood Risk Management and Environmental Restoration project, Boston, Mass. (Click image for high-res PDF)
million Muddy River Flood Risk Management and Environmental Restoration project in Boston, Mass. On Wednesday, May 21, temporary night-time work will begin at the Jug Handle in order to install the 84-inch temporary storm drain bypass pipe. The 84-inch bypass pipe is necessary to divert the flow of two existing drain lines so that the remaining sections of the Brookline Avenue culvert can be installed and a permanent diversion structure connecting these two drain lines into the Brookline Avenue culvert can be constructed. In order to not impact vehicular traffic flow during the day and the limited space of the Jug Handle to accommodate all construction activities, this temporary night-time work is necessary. The expected duration of the night-time work is two weeks.
Details concerning this night-time work are as follows:
- Night work to start on May 21
- Hours will vary based on Red Sox home game schedule – either 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. or 8 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Police detail will be provided for the duration of night time work
- Vehicular lane closure of Jug Handle and detouring of traffic to Louis Pasteur
- Pedestrian sidewalk closure of Jug Handle and detouring of pedestrians as appropriate around the work zone
- Excavation of roadway; installation of trench box; laying of 84 bypass pipe
- Use of an excavator for these work activities – no jack-hammering is expected
- Before rush hour traffic, the site will be restored daily for vehicular traffic with steel plate or asphalt across the excavation depending on timing and stage of the task
These activities are necessary so that the installation of a culvert under Brookline Avenue can continue. We will do all we can to minimize impacts to the public during these activities.
For Muddy River project construction updates visit the website at:
If you have questions contact Project Manager Jennifer Flanagan at MuddyRiver@usace.army.mil
or call 978-318-8015.
Release no. 2014-061