CONCORD, Mass. – Due to the partial government shutdown from Dec. 22, 2018 to Jan. 25, 2019, the public comment meetings scheduled by the Bureau of Ocean and Energy Management (BOEM) from Jan. 8, 2019 to Jan. 17, 2019 for the Vineyard Wind Project Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) were cancelled. BOEM has rescheduled these public comment meetings in mid-February 2019.
Vineyard Wind LLC is proposing work in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Martha's Vineyard and within Nantucket Sound to include the construction of up to 100 offshore wind turbine generators (WTGs), scour protection around the base of the WTGs, up to two electrical service platforms (ESPs), inter-array cables connecting the WTGS to the ESPs, inter-link cables between ESPs (if two ESPs are placed), and two offshore export cables within a single 23.3 mile route.
The Bureau of Ocean and Energy Management is the lead Federal agency for this proposed project, identified as Docket No. BOEM-20 18-0069. As the lead agency, BOEM has prepared a Draft Environmental Impact Statement in accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act. The DEIS was published in the federal register on Dec. 7, 2018 and is available for review at https://www.boem.gov/Vineyard-Wind/. Public comments may be submitted to BOEM at https://www.regulations.govIdocket?D=B0EM-2018-0069. The DEIS includes a review under Section 7 of the Endangered Species Act and Section 106 of the National Historical Preservation Act, as well as other applicable Federal regulations.
The Bureau of Ocean and Energy Management will hold the following public meetings on the DEIS:
- Monday, Feb. 11, 2019 from 5 - 7:30 p.m., Nantucket Atheneum, 1 India Street, Nantucket, MA 02554;
- Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2019 from 5 - 8 p.m., Martha's Vineyard Hebrew Center, 130 Center Street, Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02568;
- Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2019 from 5 - 8 p.m., Double Tree Hotel, Cape Cod Room, 287 Lyannough Road, Hyannis, MA 02601;
- Thursday, Feb. 14, 2019 from 5 - 8 p.m., Fairfield Inn and Suites Waypoint Event Center, 185 MacArthur Drive, New Bedford, MA 02740;
- Friday, Feb. 15, 2019 from 5 - 8 p.m., Narragansett Community Center, 53 Mumford Road, Narragansett, RI 02882.
Vineyard Wind LLC also is seeking a permit from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New England District to conduct work in waters of the U.S. in conjunction with constructing up to 100 offshore wind turbine generators and placing cables off the coast of Martha's Vineyard and within Nantucket Sound in Massachusetts. The public notice, with more specifics on the work proposed, can be viewed on the Corps website at www.nae.usace.army.mil/Missions/Regulatory/PublicNotices.aspx. Additional information is available from Permit Project Manager Christine Jacek at 978-318-8026 or toll free 800-343-4789 or 800-362-4367 (if calling from within Massachusetts) or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.