Public Services Menu


Clearing and Snagging Projects (Section 208)

Section 208 of the 1954 Flood Control Act provides authority for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for channel clearing and excavation, with limited embankment construction by the use of materials from the clearing operation to reduce nuisance flood damages caused by debris and minor shoaling of rivers. The maximum Federal cost for the project development and construction is $500,000 and each project must be economically justified, environmentally sound, and feasible.

Cost Sharing Requirements. The Feasibility Study is 100 percent federally funded up to $100,000. Costs over $100,000 are shared equally with the non-federal sponsor. Up to one-half of the non-federal share can be in the form of in-kind services. Costs for preparation of plans and specifications and construction are shared at 65 percent federal/35 percent non-federal. The non-federal share of construction consists of provision of any necessary lands, easements, rights-of-way, relocations and disposal areas (LERRD), plus a cash contribution of 5 percent of the total project costs. In the event that the value of LERRD, plus 5 percent cash, does not equal at least 35 percent of the total project cost, the non-federal sponsor must contribute additional cash to equal 35 percent.

Project Process. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers conducts an initial appraisal early in the Feasibility Study to determine whether the project meets program criteria and provides a basis for determining scope and cost of an entire feasibility study. The solution must be economically feasible and environmentally acceptable. If an acceptable alternative is identified in the feasibility study, the Corps prepares plans and specifications, then manages construction of the project.


Study Cost

The feasibility study is 100 percent federally funded up to $100,000. Costs over the $100,000 are shared 50/50 with the non-federal sponsor.

Project Cost

Final design (plans and specifications) and construction cost are 65 percent Federal 35 percent non-Federal.



How to Request Assistance. Requests for assistance should be in the form of a letter describing the location and nature of the problem and requesting assistance under the program. The request should be submitted by a state or local government agency to Ms. Wendy Gendron, Chief, Planning Division, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New England District, 696 Virginia Road, Concord, MA 01742-2751.  For more information call Chris Hatfield of the Plan Formulation Branch at 978-318-8520.


Sample Letter of Intent for Section 208 - Clearing and Snagging Projects

Updated May 23, 2023