Town Pond was a tidally influenced salt pond and salt marsh prior to a Corps navigation improvement project placing dredged material in this area in the early 1950s, which increased its elevation above that of regular tidal flooding converting it to a lower value, non-tidal habitat dominated by the reed species known as Phragmites australis. Town Pond was recognized as a potentially valuable site and the marsh restoration effort through the Corps program to modify projects to improve the environment (Section 1135 of the Water Resources Development Act of 1986) began in September 2005.
About 125,000 cubic yards of material was excavated to restore more than 23 acres of salt pond and salt marsh habitat, as well as restoring a tidal connection between Town Pond and Mount Hope Bay. Since September 2007, renewed tidal exchange is transforming the interior marsh from a lower value brackish habitat to a high value salt pond and salt marsh habitat. While construction was completed in 2007, minor site work continues and a five-year ecological resources monitoring program is ongoing.
For more information, please contact the Project Manager, by e-mail or by calling 978-318-8113
- Updated: June 24, 2014