The India Point Railroad Bridge was constructed by the Boston Bridge Works in 1902. Once completed, the bridge connected the city of Providence, Rhode Island with the city of East Providence. The India Point Railroad Bridge was a double-tracked center bearing swing-bridge located on the Seekonk River. It consisted of two end-to-end steel Baltimore through trusses riveted together joined by a central tower, resting on a central granite pier. The swing bridge was approximately 223 feet long by 29 feet wide (inside width) by 35 feet high and was protected by a wooden timber fender system.
The bridge was officially abandoned for rail traffic by the New Haven Railroad in 1974 and subsequently sold to the city of Providence when the city purchased the Fox Point freight yard (now India Point Park). In 1990, the U.S. Coast Guard determined that the bridge was a hazard to navigation. The Congress of the United States authorized the removal of the bridge in the Water Resources Development Act of 1986 (Public Law 99-662). The swing portion of the bridge, along with ancillary works, supporting structures, related sub-aquatic works and all bridge debris, which accumulated on the river bottom immediately contiguous to the removal span of the bridge structure were removed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 2002.
The proposed project will remove the remaining elements, two bridge trusses and associated fender system, of the India Point Railroad Bridge.