The federal government acquired the 6,795-acre property and completed construction of the facility in May 1943. The facility consisted of an Administration area, Ammonium Picrate area, Acid area, Landfill area, Bunker area and a Power Plant area. It encompassed approximately 2,100 acres of the property with the remainder as farmland. The National Aniline Defense Corporation, a Division of Allied Chemical and Dye Corporation, operated the facility under supervision of the Chief of Ordnance of the War Department. The facility shut down and manufacturing operations ceased in less than a year in March 1944.
Chemicals used or produced on-site during operations included dinitrochlorobenzene (DNCB), 2,4-dinitrophenol (2,4-DNP), picric acid (2,4,6-trinitrophenol), sulfuric acid, nitric acid, sodium hydroxide, aqueous ammonia, and ammonium picrate. There are no documented spills in the historical records for the site. However, in an abundance of caution, the site will be assessed under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) of 1980 to confirm that no contaminants spilled or leaked onto the ground from processes and equipment during the ammonium picrate operations.