New England News Releases

City of New Haven seeks USACE permit for proposed work in waters of New Haven Harbor
2/27/2024
 The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New England District received a permit application to conduct work in waters of the United States from the City of New Haven Engineering Department for proposed work...
USACE seeks comments on proposed work in Prospect Reservoir in Prospect, Connecticut
2/27/2024
 The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New England District received a permit application to conduct work in waters of the United States from the South-Central Connecticut Regional Water Authority for...
Town of Temple seeks permit for proposed work in Henry Mitchell Brook off Mitchell Brook Road in Maine
2/15/2024
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New England District received a permit application to conduct work in waters of the United States from the Town of Temple for proposed work in Henry Mitchell Brook...

Top Rotator

Local bird watchers descended upon West Hill Dam armed with pen, paper and a few binoculars to participate in West Hill Dam’s annual Backyard Bird Count.
Construction of the System Management Engineering Facility (SMEF), the 40,000 square foot, 2-story addition, is well underway and progressing rapidly.
For vessels wanting to enter Plymouth waters, dredging to remove shoals from the Plymouth Harbor federal navigation project in Massachusetts is currently underway and on schedule.

News From Around the Corps

Techniques developed to advance concrete construction in frigid environments
1/25/2024
U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC) researchers have developed Additive Regulated Concrete for Thermally Extreme Conditions – or ARCTEC – to enable the use of commonly available...
ERDC team helps preserve history for Colorado’s Burgess-Capps Cabin
3/1/2024
With the help of an interdisciplinary team at the U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC), the U.S. Air Force Academy Cultural Resources Management Office has plans for future...
Former Allatoona Ranger wins USACE Water Safety Award
3/1/2024
According to the Centers for Disease Control, an estimated 4,000 people drown to death each year in the United States...

Feature Stories

Civil War fort now safer to visit

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New England District
Published Feb. 28, 2015
The New England District and Tantara Associated Corporation installed fall protection barricade railings all over Fort Rodman, New Bedford, Massachusetts.

The New England District and Tantara Associated Corporation installed fall protection barricade railings all over Fort Rodman, New Bedford, Massachusetts.

Visiting a piece of New Bedford, Massachusetts history just got a lot safer, due to efforts made by the New England District and its contractor.

The District and its contractor, Tantara Associates Corporation of Worcester, Massachusetts, completed the fabrication and installation of fall protection barricade railing at Fort Rodman in New Bedford. The barricade railing work falls under the Corps’ Defense Environmental Restoration Program for Formerly Used Defense Sites.

According to the Fort Taber/Fort Rodman Historical Association, Inc., Fort Rodman, formerly known as Fort Taber after the New Bedford mayor responsible for getting the structure built, was constructed during the Civil War to protect the port from enemy invasion. 

The granite walls at the fort were completed in 1863. In 1898, the fort and the surrounding military reservation was renamed after Lt. Col. William Logan Rodman of New Bedford who was killed during the Civil War. The last of six concrete batteries constructed, Battery Miliken, was completed in 1920. The fort was declared surplus in World War II but served as an Army Reserve Training area until the end of the Vietnam War.

Work consisted of fabricating and installing new steel barricade railing composed of galvanized solid steels posts, solid rails and solid balusters, with an overall height of approximately four feet. Additional work involved including minor grading and new ground cover material as well as clearing brush as needed to access the rail installation locations.

Tantara Associates Corporation, a woman-owned, small business contractor, also installed railing on the roof of the fort to create a panoramic viewing area of the park and Buzzard’s Bay. Challenges during the project included clearing heavy and thick vegetation at Battery Miliken and working with deteriorated concrete at the batteries that created unsafe conditions. In several instances some of the post locations for the barricade railing were designed to avoid unsound concrete and the project was successfully completed.

Work on the $524,732 project began in June 2014 and was completed the following December. After a final inspection conducted with New Bedford’s Park and Recreation and Planning Departments in January, the project was handed over to the city.

Dave Larsen was the Project Manager. Other team members involved in this project were: Susanne Grant, Project Engineer, Jim Morocco, Administrative Contracting Officer/Resident Engineer, Matt Tessier, Mark DeSouza, Jeff Gaeta, Kirk Bargerhuff and Marc Paiva of Engineering and Peg Lorenzo of Real Estate.

Yankee Engineer newsletter

To view edition please click here.

Past Issues

SocialMediaTabs