CONCORD, Mass. – On July 1, the Union Village Dam experienced extremely heavy rainfall (4.51”) in a very short timeframe as did much of the neighboring town of Thetford, Vermont.
The East Access Road (Buzzell Bridge Road) sustained substantial damage and will remain closed for the remainder of the recreation season. Due to this significant damage, the Corps of Engineers asks that visitors do not to walk, bike, or swim in that area for their own safety, and for the safety of the first responders who would be responsible for rescuing any injured person
The recreation area at the main entrance, with the shelter, bathroom and playground, is open to the public. The road leading up to the dam and office is closed due to damages to the road.
The West Branch Access recreational area off of Tucker Hill Road, is open to the public. Please use caution when using this area, as it was flooded. Commencing in early August, the area will be closed to vehicles and pedestrians as the bridge over the Ompompanoosuc River will be repainted. The road will be closed for four to six weeks while this work is being completed.
For additional information and updates, call the Union Village Dam office at 802-649-1606 or 802-295-2855, or visit the website at http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/Missions/Recreation/Union-Village-Dam/.
Release no. 17-072